Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Our A-frame house

We purchased an A-frame house in the suburbs of Boston (yes, that's right), in December 2003. At the time it was ideal--walking distance to a commuter train, priced decent given the peak market conditions, and a desirable neighborhood. This is our first home aside from a rental property we had owned in Maine--a log cabin that we rented to ski vacationers. I don't know many people who would have purchased our house. It had been on the market for a little more than 2 months and had a significant price drop (the price we paid was ridiculous but the original asking price was ludicrous). Our options were limited--the first house we looked at in town had a cess pool rather than a septic system and the train literally ran through the back yard. The A-frame had the most potential and I talked my husband into buying it.

I have a true love/hate relationship with this house. Many days buyers remorse hits me--what if we want to move and we are unable to sell it? What am I supposed to do with all of these angled walls? But there are many days, too, when I just love it. I'm pretty sure ours is the only A-frame in town, and I like that we possess something truly unique. The house is also pretty sound--snow slides right off the roof, the deep eaves mean little to no maintenance on the siding, and if a tree were to fall into the house it would probably lay snugly against the roof rather than crashing through it. We have 28 ft solid beams supporting the A and they are impressive.

1 comment:

  1. Would like to know more about what you've been doing. I'm strongly considering buying an A frame in suburban florida (yep, florida) and the property alone has great resale value...

    ReplyDelete