Monday, February 22, 2010

To Paint or not to Paint

I like the wood in our house but sometimes it can feel oppressive and cave like. And honestly, I would never have picked it if I was building a house from scratch. For the past few years I have been contemplating painting the wood or covering the wood with horizontal tongue and groove and then painting that (there are lots of knots in our wood which might make the finish look lousy).

I've searched a lot online and in magazines to find what I think are good examples of painted wood. I like cottage style, but with class. I really like this one, below. The wood beams are a nice warm color and the white is not stark, which I think is important in harmonizing the wood and the paint color.

I found this on another great blog: smallplacestyle.blogpot.com.




1 comment:

  1. I say go ahead and paint it if you have not done it so far. I have a very tiny house , just 8' x 24' including the front porch. I painted it all white and wow, it made a huge difference. I wanted the wood knots to bleed though my paint so I did not seal it beforehand. It gives it that cottage and time worn feel that I was after. All white makes it feel much larger. Go for it.

    Tonita@ www.ShabbyChicTinyRetreat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete